This week I received my new HP EliteBook Workstation 8560w packed with Intel® Core™ i7-2860QM, 24 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 2000M, 750GB HDD and other goodies.
Big thanks to my friend over on Xeptor for giving me a good deal!
The first thing I did was to install the newly released RTM of Windows Server 2012. I wanted to use my laptop as LAB-server/workstation and run Windows 7 virtually with RemoteFX enabled.
Now, Windows Server 2012 is installed by default with no Desktop Experience. So I had to install that in order to get somewhat closer to a Workstation.
Turn on “desktop experience”
- Open powershell and type these 2 lines
- Import-Module ServerManager
- Install-WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience
After reboot I noticed that Metro UI was booted by default and I wanted it to boot directly to my Desktop.
Start on the desktop not in Metro
- Open regedit
- Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
- Create a new key called “server” (or take ownership and change permissions if it already exists)
- Create a new 32bit DWORD called ClientExperienceEnabled and leave it set to 0. (or change it to 0 if it already exists)
I also didn’t want Server Manager to start automatically.
Don’t open server manager at logon
- In server manager click “manage”
- Select “server Manager Properties” in the pull-down dialog
- Tick “Do not start Server Manager automatically at logon”
Other visual tweaks
- Make sure full visual effects are turned on
- Open control panel
- Click on System
- Click on System again
- Click on advanced system settings
- Make sure you’re in the advanced tab
- Click the top settings button (in the performance section)
- Select “adjust for best appearance”
The below setting did not seem to work. I will get back to that later
Enable startup sound
- Open up registry editor. (Start > Run… > “Regedit”)
- Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
- Check to see if DisableStartupSound DWORD value is set to ‘1’. Change the value to 0 and then restart computer.